Does Instagram allow users to change their Username?
Yes, Instagram allows users to change their username but it’s not recommended. Below we have listed some reasons why you should not change your Instagram username.
Reasons why changing your username is not recommended:
- If you lose your current username and switch to new username, there are fewer chances to get your old username back
- People who know you or search you by your username will not be able to reach you if you have changed the username.
- If you have the verified check you may not be able to keep the verification badge
- You’ll have to update all existing marketing materials
Reasons you may need to change your username
- Rebranding or Aquisition
- Shadowbanned account
- Intellectual property issues (e.g. cease and desist letter)
- Bot targeted/hacked account
If a user wants to update profile information, including username, the phone number and email address associated with the account, use the following steps:
Go to your profile:
- Tap Edit Profile or Edit Your Profile
- Type in your new name, username, website, bio, mobile phone or private information.
- Enter New Details
- Now click Done or Save in the top right
Changing your username on Instagram is simple. Just follow the process outlined above. Now let’s get into some considerations you may not have thought about before changing your username.
What to do after updating your Instagram Username
We often forget how connected we are to our social media profiles. In fact, a username is essentially your digital identity. Therefore, changing it is no small feat. Below is a list of things you should do after changing your Instagram username.
- Be sure to update all other social media profiles and blog profiles ( e.g. update youtube links, ensure your website or blog links are updated )
- If you are using nametags be sure to update your Instagram nametag on all marketing mediums
- Update User bios across other websites like Gravat or Disqus
- Update email signature links
- Update print material or pre-created media / content
- Ensure you do not have any active contests, shoutouts, or promotions scheduled if so update those associated with the correct user information
Details you may not have considered
If I update my username will all my previous tags and mentions be updated as well ?
Yes, the great thing about updating your username is that making the transition on the platform is simple. Instagram will update your username when used as a mention or a tag. This way existing shoutouts on the platform are still retained.
Can I update my Instagram username without losing my verified badge ?
We’ve searched high and low for this answer as several of our clients have approached us with this question before. Instagram is pretty vague about this in contrast Twitter outright states that if you change your username you will lose your verification. If you want to change your username on Instagram and you have a verified badge be sure to contact Instagram support beforehand and provide a reason as to why you would like to change your username.
Need new username ideas, see these tools
If you need some help generating the perfecting new username take a look at some of these tools below.
- Jim Pix
- Best Random’s Random Username Generator Tool
Final Thoughts on Instagram usernames
Although updating your username is not a lighthearted decision there are certainly steps you can take to make the process more efficient. We hope you found this post helpful. If so, let us know in the comments below.