Instagram highlights are a great way to showcase your best top content and bring to spotlight your brand’s must-see stories. IG highlights can be found on your profile, right below the bio section and can be viewed after 24 hours of being posted!
Why Instagram Highlights Are a Great Tool for Your Brand
We have all been through the struggle of deciding whether a particular image should be posted on the Instagram feed or uploaded as a story. It’s definitely true that stories are far more engaging and interactive than news feed posts. Yet, some content unquestionably deserves better than a 24-hour viewing time. And that is exactly why Instagram Highlights were created – to let a story be enjoyed for more than 24 hours, and of course spice up your profile!
5 Killer Examples of IG Highlights
- National Geographic
Creating Highlights: A Step By Step Guide
Creating your Instagram Highlight is super easy. All you need to do is go to your profile, tap the “+” button to add a new Instagram Story Highlight and choose the stories you want to be highlighted from your story archive. Now all you have to do is to add a cover photo and name, and you are all set!
Step 1: Go to your profile and tap “+”
Step 2: Choose the stories you want to highlight
Step 3: Name your highlight and add a custom cover
How to Rock Your Instagram Highlight Cover
The best thing about IG highlights is that you can create custom highlight covers that will let you group and categorize your stories according to various themes. Let’s check out some tips and tricks that you can use to make your IG highlight stand out!
First off, you need to get the right size and dimensions. We recommend using a square picture with an aspect ratio of 1:1 (2000 x 2000 pixels). Using the correct sizing will increase its visibility to the user, so make sure you don’t forget this small detail.
You can use different applications to create eye-grabbing graphics for your Instagram highlight cover like Snappa. Here is how:
- Choose the right dimensions
- Choose your background, effects, text, and graphics!
- Upload it to your Instagram (“Edit cover”)
How to Add an Instagram Story Highlight
An Instagram highlight needs to be a story that you have previously posted on your profile. There are two ways you can add a story highlight.
- The first way to do this is by clicking “+” just under the bio section on your profile page, and from there you can select which stories to add to your highlight from archived. After selecting the stories you want, you can give a name and a custom cover to your highlight so that users know what this highlight is all about. This method has also been discussed previously, so you scroll up to find a more detailed explanation for each step.
- Alternatively, you can go ahead and view the story that you want to highlight, and click the heart icon on the bottom right of the screen which says ‘Highlight’. From there you can choose which highlight you want to be added to. And you are all set!
How to Edit an Instagram Story Highlight Once They Are Uploaded
Instagram Story Highlights can be easily edited once they are uploaded. So even if you have changed your mind on something, you can simply go to your profile and change it. Here is how:
- Go to your profile and tap to watch the highlight.
- Press “…” on the bottom right corner of your screen.
- Select “Edit Highlight” from the options
- And from here you have the following options: Select “Edit Cover” to add a new custom highlight cover. For best results, make sure that your cover is in the right dimensions (2000 x 2000 pixels) Give a new name to your highlight category by writing in the section “Name”. You can add new stories in your highlight from the “Archive” section. You can tap the image to select it. You can remove some stories already posted on your highlight from the “Selected” section. Just tap into to untick the image.
- Once you are done, press “Done”
5 Final Tips for Your Instagram Story Highlights
Without a doubt, Instagram is one of the most widely used platforms in the world and we are definitely happy about it. Instagram is just the right place to post, share, view and engage with various types of inspiring and stimulating content. So make sure that you make good use of all available Instagram tools to maximize your users’ experience when they come to your profile. Here are some final tips to perfect those Instagram Story Highlights we have been talking about in this article:
- Group your highlights according to a theme. This will allow the user to navigate easily through your Instagram highlights and select which one he prefers watching.
- Use catchy highlight names and custom covers to grab attention and make users click through your highlight stories.
- Share your highlight to maximize viewership.
- Be creative. Play up with your story highlights and add a variety of content that will stand out. Remember that genuine and authentic content is much appreciated so don’t forget to post some behind-the-scenes videos, FAQs, and how-to-tutorials.
- Get interactive. Stories are such an interactive tool, so make sure you make good use of all the features available like polls, emojis, music, GIFs and so on!
Many brands on Instagram are already diving in headfirst into creating custom Instagram Story Highlights. And now that you know all insights into creating a custom cover you definitely know the reason for that. It is a great tool to supplement your Instagram Highlights by visually grouping and categorizing your content. Just add a touch of imagination and creativity and you are set to rock your Instagram Story Highlights.
Get started today!