Are you wondering how to add a link to your Instagram story? If so, this post will outline everything you need to know about Instagram story links.
Adding links to an IG story is often referred to as “the swipe up” feature. The reason it’s called the swipe up feature is that Instagram story viewers are prompted to swipe up before Instagram directs them to a link included in a story. This feature makes it a lot easier for IG account holders to drive traffic to their website links.
Why Can’t Everybody Have the Swipe Up Feature?
If you’ve been asking yourself,
Why can’t I add links to my Instagram story?
There are several reasons why the swipe up feature is unavailable. To have the swipe up feature available, you must either
- Have an account with 10,000 followers or
- Have a verified account
If you do not meet the requirements above you will not be able to use the standard Instagram story links. If you do meet one of the requirements above then the swipe up feature is available to you.
Here’s how to use it.
Here are step-by-step directions of how to add a link to an Instagram story with Swipe Up:
- On your Instagram homepage, click on the camera icon. It is located above the word “stories” on your Instagram homepage.
- After clicking it, you can take a new photo or video, or choose from any photos that you’ve taken in the last 24 hours, from your library.
- Then, tap on the chain or link icon, at the top of the screen.
- A new window will appear for you to insert a link.
- Insert the link to your website. Be sure to tap done or the green checkmark to finish it up.
- After adding the link, you should include in your story a Call to Action to invite your viewers to swipe up.
Benefits of Adding Links With the Swipe Up Feature
The swipe up feature makes it possible for users to navigate directly to another website. The benefits of using the swipe up feature include:
- Easily boost traffic to external sites
- Link to internal content on Instagram
- Drive direct sales without the use of IG ads
Unfortunately, some people are not able to use the swipe up feature because they do not have an account with 10k followers or a verified account.
Though there are several other ways to share links on Instagram without having the IG swipe up feature.
How to share links in Instagram Stories Without 10k Followers
Even if you don’t have the swipe up feature Instagram does not restrict you from sharing links. It merely requires a bit more creativity and communication. Below are a few different ways to shares links in stories without having 10k followers.
- Include text in your story that prompts the viewer to DM you if they want the link. You can also use the DM sticker in your story. If a viewer responds you can reply with a link.
- Use the Insta Story sticker “Chat” feature. Everyone that joins your Chat (with one click) will be able to get your link in a private message. You can add 31 people to the chat and then send the link to all 31 people at once.
How to create a Group Chat in your Insta Story:
- Open or create your Insta Story.
- Tap on the Sticker Icon.
- Tap the Chat sticker.
- Include in your Insta Story, for people to click on the Chat sticker to get the link.
- Post your Insta Story.
- A group chat will automatically come up. Afterward, you need to open your direct messages.
- Then, open your new group chat.
- Go into the settings of your group chat.
- Turn Off the “Approval Required to Join” switch.
Once you turn it off, everyone who clicks on your story to join will get the link. You can also get to know your best followers. Chat with them a little bit to build up a good rapport with them.
Instagram does allow you to include a direct link in IGTV video captions, regardless of how many followers you have!
Here’s How to Use the Swipe Up Feature, Even if You Don’t Have it Yet:
- Create an IGTV video that is very short, including an arrow pointing towards the title of your video.
- Tell people to click on the title of the video to get the link.
- Add the link to the caption portion of your video.
- Post the video on your IGTV channel.
- After the video is posted, you can add it to your Insta Story. So, open your Insta Story.
- Tap on the chain link icon at the top of the screen.
- Tap on “+IGTV Video”.
- Tap on your IGTV video to post it!
It might sound like a long process, but it’s really simple!
People will be able to swipe up and click on your link in the IGTV caption.
General Tips for Driving Traffic to Your Website Using Instagram
- If you post more often, you’ll get more exposure. This gives you more chances to spread your ideas and gain more followers.
Another tip to remember is that the best times to post on Instagram for the most views are mornings and weekends. When I am looking at analytics with my social media accounts, I usually see more engagements when I post more stories. There is also a big difference in the number of engagements I have on the weekends compared to how many I have during the week.
- Encourage Likes, Comments, and Shares! And Engage With Your Followers As Much As Possible. When a customer leaves a comment, try to respond to them within 24 hours. If an angry customer leaves a comment or review, try to get back to them as soon as possible to resolve their problem.
Customers feel better about a bad experience with a product when the company hears their grievances and tries to resolve the problem, quickly. This way they are able to get their refund or exchange without hassles and might be a return customer in the future.
Engagement helps to establish trust with your followers. Taking the time to answer questions or concerns shows that you care about them.
Instagram is a game-changer for many people, trying to gain exposure and promote their products or ideas. Even if you do not have a large following beforehand, Instagram is sure to help you achieve your goals.